Monday, March 11, 2013

Paddys 5 Miler

3/10/13 - Paddys 5 mile in Portsmouth NH. Woke up around 730 for some breakfast before heading down to the race. I was supposed to do this once before in the first year but it was horrible weather and I decided to bail. This time around it was pretty good weather. I arrived at 9am and met up with Bob Wiles to catch up for a bit. Quickly ran into Chris and Heather Mahoney and talked about the course. Shortly after we set out for a 3m warm up, myself heather and Nate Jenkins. Chris races the day before so he was not running. The race started at 1030 I quickly settled into the chase pack, no one went with Nate we all just ran the race for 2nd. I launched on to the back of the pack and had the plan to no make any moves early, we clicked they the mile in 5:26 on guy made a move and another tried to cover I bumped up into 4th just trying to keep everyone close. We came thru 2m with a 5:28 the next mile I moved into 3rd only for a short time (maybe half a mile) the last 3m seemed to be much tougher then I had thought. Nate had mentioned it on the warm up of how it seems you could run faster in that section then you do. Mile 3 ended up being 5:59 I decided to dig deep and try and push forward, so after another running cruises by me he cover the gap between myself and 3rd quickly and was quickly out of sight. I pushed up the hill to mile 4 now being in 5th place, at about 4.5 the last person went by me which has lead to some confusion as he was not in the results. As I approached the finish both Chris and Bob we telling me to go and that he was done. I took off after him and with 100 to go someone tipped of the other runner as he was able to hold me off. Afterwards we got in a nice 3m cool down before the awards.

Overall I finished in 28:46 good for 5th thought I was 6th but can't complain. This was a fun race and enjoyed the course. I want to go back again and try and be a bit more fit for the event next time.

Next on the list is New Bedford half this weekend. I am much more confident going into this then I was for DH jones hoping to be under 76mins

No comments:

Post a Comment